January 2018 Meeting Recap
The January meeting of Professional Women of Statesboro met on Wednesday, January 17, at the Holiday Inn.
During this month’s meeting, we welcomed two guests and one new member. Meagan Johnson, President, also introduced the new board members for 2018 and recognized the board members who rolled off of the board after three years of consecutive service.
Our scheduled programming was Speed Networking. Through a rotation of the inner circle, each networking session lasted two minutes, for members to get to know each other better, sometimes swapping business cards.
Our January raffle (a $10 gift card to Parker’s) was provided by America Minc. Our January member spotlight, Priscilla Deal, who was recently recognized as the Go Girl for MOMents magazine, shared with us about her company, Peach State Air Conditioning. Peach State is the only woman-owned HVAC company in the state. She provides training and all of her technicians are required to make an 80 or better on their certification tests.
PWS News that was mentioned/discussed:
- Next month’s program will feature Lissa Leege from the Georgia Southern Center for Sustainability
- Valerie Thompson, treasurer, gave the Treasurer’s Report, letting everyone know that PWS now has a PayPal account for paying dues invoices. There is also a new Treasurer’s email address.
- Christina Young, the head of the Scholarship Committee, updated the members on the scholarship applications. They are currently being approved for members to send out to prospective recipients. New this year, PWS is opening the scholarship to current OTC students.
- Kate Channell, secretary, reminded members to connect with us on Fb and let us know of members being featured in the community for various things so that we can share that info.
Upcoming Networking/Outreach Events:
- Business After Hours: Thursday, January 18, 5-6:30 p.m. at Statesboro CVB
- Molly Bickerton talked about Taste of the Boro that supports United Way. PWS will be a volunteer sponsor with the Statesboro Jaycees to help sell tickets, pick up raffle prizes, set up raffle table the day of the event. The event is March 1.
- Membership is up 48%, with 26 new members
- During 2017, America Minc referred the most new members at seven. She donated her prize money to the PWS Scholarship Fund.
Do you have news to share with PWS? Email Mindy Fair at firstname.lastname@example.org, and let us know!