The October meeting of Professional Women of Statesboro met on Wednesday, October 18th at the Holiday Inn.
During this month’s meeting, we welcomed 6 guests and 3 new members.
Our speaker was Captain Todd Mashburn of the Bulloch County Sheriff’s Office and Fit to Fight. He led our session on self-defense. He talked about the mind-set of self-defense and its importance. Some notes from his session:
- The law (OCGA 16-3-21) defines the use of force in defense of self or others. You do not have to know the 3rd party involved. This could be your child, a friend, or even a stranger.
- Know your internal flags. Recognize your body’s response.
- A true victim doesn’t do anything wrong or provoke.
- If you do retreat in a situation, know where you are retreating to.
Our October raffle was provided by our October member spotlight, Ashley Clifton of 180 Fitness.
PWS News that was mentioned/discussed:
- Nominations accepted for leadership for 2018
- Upcoming programs & member spotlights:
- November – Branding Yourself Panel
- December – Holiday Social
Upcoming Networking/Outreach Events:
- Business After Hours, Thursday, October 19th at Queensborough Bank
- GSU Benefits and Wellness Fair, Wednesday, October 25th
- Live Like Lynda Event for the LBW Foundation at the SCVB, Tuesday, November 14th at 5:30pm.
- Congratulations to Krisha Craven-Phillips and Delores Groomes on their success in Dancing with the Statesboro Stars, helping to raise over $130,000.
Below are pictures from the October meeting –
To join our next meeting, please contact us here!
Do you have news to share with PWS? Email Mandy Edwards at [email protected] and let us know!